On November 14, 1902, the original petition to the County Commissioners by the Southside Community to form a separate school district was denied. However, through hard work and determination, the petition was finally granted and Southside School District #42 was formed on March 10, 1903.
School was first held in Albert Ackley’s home with Miss Carrie Robinson as teacher. Children from five families comprised the student body of eight. After 3 months, 1903 also marked Southside’s first graduate, May Hurst. Mr. Ackley later that year deeded one acre of land where Southside’s first school house was built. Classes continued in the one room school house, until an addition was built in 1912.
The school remained in the original building until 1953 when community members donated materials and constructed a new academic building for the cost of $32,960. By this time, Southside School had grown to 100 students and four teachers. A second academic building was added in 1958, followed by a multipurpose building in 1968. Collier Field was annexed through the generous donation by Dr. and Mrs. B.N.Collier.
District property increased in 1979 when Southside purchased an adjoining seven acres. The school added another new building in the early 1990’s. During the time from 2003-2005 the campus underwent a remodel, adding a middle school hall, enlarging the gym, and updating all classrooms.
Today, our school is completely modernized and our students benefit from the finest facilities available. Southside School is a living, breathing legacy. The current student body echoes the many generations who have attended classes here.
For some families, many generations have passed through Southside halls. The School is the pride of the community and a symbol of our unity. Each year, Southside School continues to grow, including new families that are as committed to learning as the founding fathers were.
As the parents and community of 1903 strove to give children a great place to learn, so to are the present Southside families and community. For over 100 years, Southside School District has maintained its independence and excellence for learning.