Hello Southside Students, Families, and Staff,
I hope that this message finds everyone doing well. We greatly appreciate all of the flexibility that all of you have demonstrated with the quick change in educational plans and taking care of our families and staff.
Students and families have probably noticed the change in academic information from your child’s teachers. The state has moved from schools providing temporary materials and opportunities for families to requiring schools to provide materials that directly address targeted state learning standards with a clear expectation of continued learning for students. We are also being asked to consider the various students we serve and attempt to provide educational opportunities through a variety of formats. Southside staff have been providing more than what was expected and will continue to do so. The entire staff, including the admin team, the teachers, and all of our classifieds have demonstrated their commitment to our kids.
This is a new experience for all of us. We appreciate the grace that you have given us to gather all of the materials that we need, get set up and trained on remote programs and options, and to begin planning for a new way of providing service during this crisis. This new remote opportunity requires a stronger commitment from students, families, and staff to make it work. We understand that everyone’s situation is different so we will need to support families in a variety of ways. Here are some of the common expectations you can have regarding the opportunities we will be providing:
- Our Math and Language Arts classes will be utilizing core curriculum as a foundation for what is being shared. Students may access our core curriculum on-line or through a hard copy.
- Hard copy materials are available and recommended for use by all students/families. All families are encouraged to swing by the school and pick up hard copy materials that will be beneficial when working with the core subjects on the dates and times established if at all possible. The schedule has been sent out via school messenger.
- Specialist areas of Art and Physical Education will continue to provide a list of activities and suggestions that will address the state or national standards. Those teachers will also be reaching out to all families.
- Special Education and Title/LAP support will be provided for the designated students in collaboration with the general education staff.
- Classroom teachers will be establishing “office hours” for contact. All staff will continue to attempt to get back to students and/or families within 24-48 hours outside of their designated times. You may contact all staff via email including administration.
We are making alternate plans for the traditional May Day Royalty and events as well as possible moving-on events for our 7th grade students. We will wait until a later time to see if any of the bans get lifted. More information will be forwarded soon. Ms. McKinnon is the contact for May Day information at firstname.lastname@example.org and Ms. Tahja and Mr. Ness will be contacts for the 7th grade celebration. They may be contacted at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feel free to send any positive suggestions you might have for students, staff, and families on suggested activities that honor the social distancing mandate during the Covid crisis to Heather Richards at email@example.com. We will use some of the information as ideas for our Southside Bobcats.
We will be sending out a newsletter soon. Check our website for changes and current information.
Thank you for all that you are doing to assist in saving lives.
Southside School District 42 would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Southside School District 42 directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation’s leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.
April 6, 2020
REYKDAL: School Buildings Closed, But Learning Continues
Today, Governor Inslee announced that schools will be prohibited from providing traditional, in-person instruction for the remainder of the school year. Below is Superintendent Chris Reykdal’s statement.
Upcoming School Events
Monday, May 25 – No School – Memorial Day
Tuesday, June 23 @ 6:30 pm – Board Meeting
Vision & Mission
Welcome to Southside School District- Best School Around. Celebrating 116 Years This Year.
“The mission statement of the Southside School District, as a small, community-centered school, is to inspire lifelong learning and to empower students of all ages to become knowledgeable, contributing citizens by meeting the diverse needs of the whole person in a safe and nurturing environment.”