Upcoming School Events
Wednesday, January 12 & 26 – Special Board Meeting-Workshop
Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/4434525334
Monday, January 17 – No School – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Tuesday, January 25 – 6:30 pm- Board Meeting
The district will be seeking a four-year Replacement School Educational Programs Levy. The estimated annual tax rate to homeowners would be $2.20 per $1,000 of assessed valuation for each of the four years. This new levy will replace the expiring levy that is currently also $2.20 per $1,000.
This replacement levy would allow key programs and necessary facility maintenance and operations to continue for the next four years. Your levy dollars support educational programs; day-to-day operations; maintains basic health, safety, and security; and on-going facility maintenance of Southside School District
If you have any questions regarding the Replacement levy feel free to contact:
Southside School Superintendent
Southside School District is seeking applications from citizens interested in being appointed to a committee to write the “for/against statements” for the Mason County Local Voters’ Pamphlets related to the District’s Replacement Educational Programs and Operation Levy ballot measure to be considered. Those interested should send their name, address, phone number and which position they represent to Paul Wieneke, Superintendent, Southside District, at 161 SE Collier Rd, Shelton, WA 98584 or via email at email@example.com.
Please note that the District is not involved in preparing any “for/against statements” or rebuttals. The sole duty of the Board is to appoint committee members and to provide a copy of the Mason County Local Voter Pamphlet Rules to the committee members in order for them to prepare the statements and rebuttals.
Reminders and New information:
- Please look for our Southside Quarterly Newsletter.
- The state’s mask mandate does not require wearing masks while outdoors as long as people maintain 6 ft. physical distancing. If you need to have a close proximity conversation with a staff or non-family member in the parking lot, please wear a mask.
- Our ASB Food Drive has come to an end. We are so very grateful for all of our generous Bobcat families. The food items that were collected were donated to Saint’s Pantry in Shelton. Thanks again.
- Southside School received a federal grant this year to support students who have experienced “unfinished learning” during the many challenges and changes of Covid-19. Starting the week of November 29, Southside will offer an after school extended learning program by invitation only to address skill-building in reading and math. The program will provide two to four days per week of afterschool instruction. We may be able to expand this program in the new year if Covid-19 numbers allow.
- In order to maintain current records and optimize enrollment sizes in our K-7 classrooms, we are requiring all in-district families to provide proof of residency this year. Families who live ‘in-district’… if you haven’t already done so, please submit your PROOF OF RESIDENCY to the office asap.
- Parents and/or Guardians… PLEASE call or email the office by 9 am if your child will be absent from school. Regular school attendance is crucial for healthy youth development; academically, socially, mentally and emotionally.
- If your child is showing symptoms of a cold or flu (runny nose, coughing, fever, nausea, vomiting or other Covid-19 symptoms) please keep them at home and don’t forget to contact the school. Please click the Link to see the Symptom Decision Tree: Symptom Decision Tree PDF
- Afternoon pickup lines are moving faster. However, if you decide to park and walk over to pick up your student please consider use the gravel parking lot next to the playfield rather than the upper lot. We need to have a clear view of whom we safely handoff students to. Thank you to all parents who have submitted ideas for safer and orderly traffic flow. Please contact us if you have further questions or ideas to improve our traffic flow.
- If you are planning an extended day family trip please notify the school in writing at least 10 days before your trip as per our student handbook. This allows teachers time to prepare appropriate lessons for the absence.
Thank you for your partnership!
Paul Wieneke, Superintendent
Robie Spaulding, School Administrator
Vision & Mission
Welcome to Southside School District- Best School Around. Celebrating 116 Years This Year!
“The mission statement of the Southside School District, as a small, community-centered school, is to inspire lifelong learning and to empower students of all ages to become knowledgeable, contributing citizens by meeting the diverse needs of the whole person in a safe and nurturing environment.”